Work~Save~Travel~Repeat – 5 Tips On How To Save For Your Travels Whilst You Work

When all you want to do is travel, everyday life can become a chore. You find yourself constantly dreaming about your next trip, or planning how early you can book your next flights. So if you find yourself in a WORK~SAVE~TRAVEL~REPEAT cycle like me – I’ve compiled a list of my top 5 tips for saving money for your future travels.

One. KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE PRIZE!

This one is sooooo important, hence why I’ve put it first! Okay so, I’m a shopaholic ~ I love going into town to ‘window shop’ but I inevitably used to come back with all sorts of stuff I just didn’t need. Once I started budgeting for my Round the World Trip (I’ll talk more about budgeting later!) I realised that £30 would easily sort us out accommodation and £50 was easily enough for a whole day in Sri Lanka, accommodation, food and all, meaning that the new top or make up didn’t quite seem worth it. I found it a lot easier to save money once I saw the VALUE it would have when I would be travelling.

Two. Shop around for your bills!

*Yawwwwwwwn* yep I know, the boring one but a super helpful one! Little changes I made to my phone bill, gym membership and using points card in supermarkets saves me upwards of £20 a month. It doesn’t seem a lot, but I have over a year to save for my round the world trip so £20×12 months = £240 for a quick 10 minute phone call to my network provider, and a change of gyms (to a one that is closer to me and cheaper! Win win situation right?) it’s really not bad.

Three. Saving your change!

So this is a pretty simple one, and a lot of people do this already! Save your change that you find in your wallet, there’s loads of different ways to do this. It could be you save all 5ps or 50ps, or you might save all the change you find in your purse on a Monday evening! Either way, this is a super easy way to save money without really thinking about it!

Four. The week by week challenge!

I’m pretty sure that’s not the official name ~ but it gives you an idea of what I’m going to talk about now! The idea with this one is you save £1 on a Monday, £2 on a Tuesday, £3 on a Wednesday etc etc. If you were able to do this every week for month, you’d save a whopping £112, or if you could do it every week for a year £1,344! If you think this seems a little steep, try splitting it with your travel buddy ~ 50p each on a Monday, £1 each on a Tuesday, £1.50 each on a Wednesday etc. Or if you don’t have anyone to save with, try doing 1 week a month, or every other week.

Five. Don’t be too hard on yourself!

I used to be obsessed with saving for my travels, so I forgot to also live in the here and now! Life happens, sometimes there’s a staff meal you want to go to in a swanky restaurant, or all the girls from uni are getting together for the weekend. Don’t let saving for travelling mean you stop making memories right now. If you miss a savings goal by £50 because you really wanted to let your hair down and go out for the night with your friends, you’ll easily make it up elsewhere. Don’t only live for travelling.

Have you subscribed yet? Make sure you sign up to my mailing list in the sidebar to get subscriber only content and freebies straight to your inbox!

15 Comments

1. Erika
    03/03/2018

Saving your change really works. I save my pennies all the time. I have two decorative jars that I keep in my room that I put them in. The last time I emptied them I had saved up $50

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      03/03/2018

Yeah it really does! A real case of ‘every little helps’ hahah!

2. Ain SB
    03/03/2018

Yes, by keep reminding ourselves whether it’s worth to buy something that we actually don’t really need (at all) should help us with the saving, always. These are great tips! x Ain

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      03/03/2018

Exactly! Definitely one I used to struggle with though! Sometimes it’s the tips that seem the simplest that are the most difficult, hahah!

3. DoriamB
    03/03/2018

Definitely following this for this year, just what I need!

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      03/03/2018

Glad to of helped! I used to be the worrrrrst with money, so needed to make saving as simple as possible so I had no choice!

4. Emma
    04/03/2018

Some good ideas for saving – when does the trip begin or do you not have a date yet?
    I would love to travel, but at 33 I feel I would rather have smaller holidays/trips and be able to afford my own home so that’s my saving priority right now, but your ideas will definitely come in handy.

x

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      04/03/2018

So I’m not going until next year, as I’m going to New York and Belfast this year so need to save up for it all! Yeah I understand, your priorities have got to be right for you! X

5. Paolo
    04/03/2018

So hard to save sometimes 😛 Good tips, the small things do add up!

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      04/03/2018

Yeah sometimes it’s the little things that can save you the most! I find it’s the easier ‘passive’ saving that helps, or making into something fun like the £1 challenge I mentioned!

6. So i’m trying to save at the moment, not for anything in particular but I know this will help me to do that! Thanks for the post!

7. […] I swear I spend so long just trawling through Pinterest looking for inspiring wanderlust quotes. I do this for a majority of reasons, one being that it’s my favourite this to do when I’m bored, but also I find that they help motivate me, I’ve printed a few out to have near my ‘adventure fund’ box as these help me remember what I’m saving for, even when I remember that top that I really really really want and been in my ASOS basket for 3 months (you can check out my top tips for saving here!). […]

8. […] currently saving up for my Round The World Trip (you can check out my saving tips & tricks here). There’s a lot to take into […]

9. Chloe
    03/04/2018

The last point is so important! And something I definitely need to remind myself of every now and again. x

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      03/04/2018

It’s totally true, I used to focus on saving for travel and only that, but then realised I’d stopped making memories in the here and now! x