5 Ways to Balance Wanderlust and Working Full-Time

Being stuck in a 9-5 cycle when every part of you wants to travel the world is difficult. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world (literally), but it is difficult with things like time off, saving etc. So I’ve compiled a list of my tips and tricks of how to cope with wanderlust and working full-time.

Areoplane - Wanderlust and working fulltime

How to cope with wanderlust and working full-time

One. Be a tourist in your own town.

Play tourist for the day! Do all the things you wouldn’t usually do, but the things that attract people to your city. For me, in Bradford, people come from far and wide to visit the theatre here, so every so often I like to have a look what’s on, and although I’m not your typical ‘theatre goer’ there is something exciting about getting dressed up and heading to see a show!

Two. Go to the city next to yours!

This is easy for me, as Leeds is a £2.50 train journey away, meaning I can go explore another city for super cheap! If you do have a city close to you, that you don’t get over too often, take a day to go and get fully lost in it (then use the map app to get you back to where you parked…)

Three. Save!

One of the best ways to beat that constant feeling of wanderlust is, well, to go on another trip! I like to set up savings plan – a type of ‘I will save up X amount each month meaning in 2 months I can book flights and accommodation’. I’m currently saving for a few trips and my Round the World trip, so this really helps keep my wanderlust at bay. (You can read part one of my budgeting mini series here!)

Phone taking picture - wanderlust and working fulltime

Four. Plan for a future trip!

I do this allll the time. I’ll have a look for flights for a time I’m free, and then I’ll spend hours and hour or booking.com or Airbnb planning where I’ll stay when I go to this place. 9.9/10 I don’t go ahead with these little trips, but I do love researching costs and countries/cities I’ve never been too.

Thinking of booking a holiday? Use this link for booking.com or AirBnb – when you book through these links I make a small amount of money/travel credits, at no extra cost to you! This just helps me fund my travels and therefore helps me fund this blog!

Five. Reminisce your past trips!

If you’re like me, one way of helping your wanderlust is talking about travelling. However, my partner is a liiiiittle bit bored of me constantly talking about SEA or our future trip to Sri Lanka (though he’s too polite to ever admit it). The is the exact reason I started this blog! But you might chose to write a book based on your travels, re-reading over travel diaries, or looking through old photographs!

I hope this helps with your wanderlust whilst you’re living in the real world, it’s a struggle and it can sometimes be tough and frustrating. But I hope you manage to find a good balance.

Pin it for later!

Wanderlust & working fulltime Pin It image

11 Comments

1. Amita Kundlani
    05/04/2018

These are great tips! I love being a local in my own city, sometimes you discover something you’ve never seen before. And it’s a great way to save money too! 🙂 x
    amerzwithlove.com

2. HP
    06/04/2018

Ohhh I like the first one! Being a tourist in your own town. YES. I realize the other day that I always talk about where I want to travel (outside my country) yet I still have lots of things to discover near me.

3. Ryan Biddulph
    08/04/2018

Hi Elle,
    All smart tips buddy. I did not begin traveling until I left my 9-5 behind, then retired to this life of being a digital nomad. But if I worked a job I’d follow each tip to a T. Good on you for loving your job and sticking with it; some people believe the grass is greener and ditch a job or life that rocks, feeling being a world traveler would solve any ills. I love this life. But it ain’t for everybody, especially when you are happy in your home town.
    Rocking post, rocking blog.
    Ryan

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      16/04/2018

I totally get you! My current job isn’t the best payed, though we are saving up for a round the world trip next year which I hope turns into just constant travelling, that’s the plan anyway! We are just saving up as much as we can first (hence these tips!) before we head off! Thank you!

4. Wiki
    09/04/2018

Hello ,

I saw your tweet about animals and thought I will check your website. I like it!

I love pets. I have two beautiful thai cats called Tammy(female) and Yommo(male). Yommo is 1 year older than Tommy. He acts like a bigger brother for her. 🙂
    I have even created an Instagram account for them ( https://www.instagram.com/tayo_home/ ) and probably soon they will have more followers than me (kinda funny).

I have subscribed to your newsletter. 🙂

Keep up the good work on your blog.

Regards
    Wiki

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      09/04/2018

Awh Tammy and Yommo sound great! I’ll have a look! Thank you so much!

5. […] recently wrote a post on how to cope with wanderlust when you work full-time, and one of the suggestions I said was to be a tourist in your own town! That’s exactly what […]

6. Kayla
    18/04/2018

Great post! I appreciate the fact that you don’t need to go to some crowded, tourist attraction city to have a good travel. I love your suggestion of going to the next town over you’re not so familiar with, and have a great time!!! That’s great!!

7. Shannon Wilson
    29/05/2018

These are so awesome Elle and so very true! I often just want to book the next getaway but it’s so important to remember that you can ‘getaway’ in your own country 🙂 Love the blog!

Shannon X
    Fromzimbabweto.com

8. Fiona Whiley
    22/06/2018

I laughed when I read the part about planning and research on Booking.com and random flights – I do this all the time. And starting a blog to write about travels so the partner doesn’t get tired of hearing you talk about it… hahaha, that’s me too. Glad it’s not just me, makes me feel more normal. 😁 Good luck with your savings!

1. EleanorLGriffiths
      23/06/2018

Hahah I had too – as much as I know J is excited I think I was doing his head in with it all – though he’d never admit it 😂